South London Green Skills Academy
The South London Green Skills Academy is part of the Mayor’s Academies Programme.
The South London boroughs have committed to reducing our carbon emissions and achieving Net Zero. Our Green Jobs and Skills report has identified that over the next 30 years, the ‘green sector’ is predicted to create over 100,000 jobs in south London and we will need people with the skills and knowledge to fill these roles and support the expanding green economy.
The Academy will support collaborative work between employers and educators to enable the retrofit, reduce/reuse/recycle and horticulture sectors to expand by overcoming the barriers in skills provision, building confidence in the market and supporting south Londoners into good green jobs.
The aims of the Green Skills Academy are:
- Support south Londoners into new jobs in the green sector across the sub-region.
- Facilitate the development of new green skills training including apprenticeships.
- Work with training providers and sector specialists to develop the curriculum to ensure it reflects the new green skills.
- Identify short courses to ensure that the existing workforce can upskill into green jobs.
- Identify new funding opportunities and new ways to fund green skills retrofit training.
- To act as a vehicle for sharing sustainability best practice amongst SMEs within the sub-region and promote the business case for improving the business green credentials.
- Work with employers to enable pathways for a more diverse workforce and ensure the inclusive growth of the green sector
For more information or to get involved in the Green Skills Academy, please email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org